On Tue, 29 Jun 2010, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

> On 06/29 09:50 , Mike Miller wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
>>
>>> I've stuck with Debian ever since. I still can't get over the silly
>>> sound of 'Ubuntu' even if the development seems to be much more active
>>> than Debian.
>>
>> Really?  Some people choose a distro based on the sound of the name?
>> That's interesting.
>
> There are obviously attempts to make distros appealing based on the
> name; hence 'Puppy Linux', 'Green Frog Linux' (anyone remember that?),
> 'Yellow Dog Linux', etc. Why shouldn't people choose a distro based on a
> name?

Because the name doesn't affect the way the distro functions.  What we
usually care about is the user experience -- things like package
availability, the interface, etc.  The name might give you a clue about
what is inside, but once you know what is inside the name has nothing else
to offer.

I'm sure that people are affected, a lot, by the names of products, but
they usually don't say that they base their choice on the sound of a name.
They are usually obliviously irrational instead of openly irrational.

> After all, "Run A Spear Through Your Guts Linux" would seem to have a
> grimness and loathing built into it,

But then you might want to find out what really is built into it and make
a decision based on that instead of basing your decision on the name
itself.

> and even if it were the best thing since sliced bread it may not get a
> lot of following.

You might want to base a decision on the following instead of basing it on
what you think the following will be because of the name.

We're talking here about someone who said he won't use Ubuntu because the
name sounds silly to him.  He might have been joking, but it didn't look
like it to me.

Mike