On 06/28 10:20 , Steve Cayford wrote:
> I started on Redhat 6.2, followed Redhat for a while, but didn't like
> working with RPM so much. Tried some minimal distros on old laptops,
> switched to Slackware, then discovered Debian and have been on Debian
> and Ubuntu ever since.

I talked to someone on the bus in college who had a thick book which I now
recognize as a Slackware manual... about 1995-96.
Me: What's that?
Him: It's Linux.
Me: What's linux?

I heard about it off and on for a few more years but didn't have a spare
machine to dedicate to it until I got a paying job and got the boss to buy a
copy of the Red Hat 5.2 boxed set (with a real dead-trees manual and all). I
fell in love with it because:

- The installer had a 'redneck' language option, with phrases like "Would
  you like to floormat yer hard drive?", "Wut kind of CD-ROM do yew
have? [ ] SCSI CD-ROM [ ] Crappy CD-ROM" and "Congratupations yew is done!".
I loved an OS that could laugh at itself.

- I could speak to my computer in complete sentences rather than use a
  point-and-grunt interface.

After using RH5.2 and RH6; I tried Debian because all the geeks in TCLUG
(those of you still around know whom you are) were saying how great apt
was. The main thing I saw in Debian was that it was a distributed volunteer
effort; so they tended to build tools to ease the workload and distribute
control as much as possible, rather than have a centralized 'authority' like
Red Hat needed for its corporate strategy. (Some interesting parallels could
probably be drawn between the centralization/distribution degrees of various
Linux distros and the political statism/anarchism spectrum).

I've stuck with Debian ever since. I still can't get over the silly sound of
'Ubuntu' even if the development seems to be much more active than Debian.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator