On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 9:49 PM, Jason Hsu, embedded engineer, Linux
user <jhsu802701 at jasonhsu.com> wrote:
> What distros were your main distro in the past but are not your distro anymore?

I'm going to bite, because this thread could get interesting.

First distro: Redhat 4.2.  Me and a buddy went 1/2 and 1/2 on a copy
at best Buy (yes, Best Buy used to be good for something!)
I recall two CDs and a non-descriptive sheet of paper telling me to
read the docs on the CD.  I finally got Apache and sendmail working,
and I was in high heaven (at 14.4 Kbps no less).

RH4.2 became RH5.2 then 6.1 and finally 7.3.  RH7.3 was a nice distro,
as I recall it sported a newish 2.2 kernel (or was it shiny new 2.4?)
that rocked the world.

Then RH8 came out.  Oh boy... RH8.  I give props to the Anaconda team
for making RH easier to install than Windows.  RH8/RH9 was
interesting, but I could feel the bloatware creeping up on me.  The
timy little powerhouse that was RH4.2 was no more.

I hopped off the RH train around Fedora 1, and attempted Debian.  I
found Debian to be reminiscent of that beloved RH4.2 install, and I
still use it today.

Now all the distros feel the same.  Easy to install, easy to use,
demanding of hardware.  It's a tradeoff really, ease of use and hugh
functionality comes at the cost of more CPU and RAM.  "Ohhh shiny"
takes even more.  CLI is still slick and clean.  Choose your weapon.
Mine is Debian, only because it's so easy to branch off dueing
install.  Will this box be lean, full featured, or somehwere in
between?

> I currently use antiX Linux as my main distro and Puppy Linux as my backup distro.

Oh yeah... back to your trolling about antiX.  Be proud of your uber
awesomeness, congrats on installing one of hundreds of distros that do
certain things better than others.

Brian