On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 01:00:08AM -0500, Chuck Cole wrote:
> > [mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org]On Behalf Of James
> >
> > I had no option because of the limited abilities on the part of others.
>
> Not that others HAVE limited abilities, just that most CHOOSE not to clutter
> with non-functional html for messages.  There are many very good technical
> reasons to not use html in groups, and few or none for using html.

I was wondering about this very thing earlier in the day: how many
times you found HTML formatting actually useful in a message?

Any competent MUA can color first-level of replies in blue and
underline the hyperlinks.

Besides the memos from marketing and HR and commercial newsletters that
look like glossy brochures, how many times did *you* find that HTML made
something _possible_ or at least _easier_ for you?

My only use of HTML facilities was when highlighting certain parts of
the message in different colors to draw attention at correlations
between some inputs into a process and corresponding outputs. (source code
and error messages are a good example).  But these are few and far
between and I could have written a memo and mailed that around.
I have never dropped a picture in an e-mail except with the intent of
attaching it.  I have never drew a table in an HTML e-mail.

What used have you found for HTML in e-mails?

Thanks,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163