I have been having A LOT of trouble with the Intel video drivers on
Ubuntu... A LOT. I have been running Ubuntu 10.04 on an old dell
computer that has an Intel video card and it has been a struggle to say
the least. Arg.

I found this link
http://www.ivankristianto.com/os/ubuntu/install-intel-latest-driver-to-your-ubuntu-10-04/1278/
a few weeks ago (Ubuntu specific) and it worked, and the video worked,
the machine worked great. Then I did an update the other day and it went
to crap again. Arg.

As I understand it, it is the Intel drivers that are the problem. And it
would make sense that is a kernel problem because I have all kinds of
screwy crap happen with the machine, like running out of memory every
other time I boot the machine... and more.

Any ways, you could try 9.10, I didn't have issues with that on a laptop
with inlet video drivers (the laptop wouldn't even boot 10.04 ?)

Good luck!

==>brian.