On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 17:05, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome at real-time.com
> wrote:

> On 07/27 04:43 , Shawn Fertch wrote:
>
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220006
>

> I'd like to recycle my current personal workstation into a backup server,
> so
> that's why I don't want to just replace the guts of it.
>
> the EePC looks interesting, and may do most of what I want. I'd kind of
> like
> the capability for multiple monitors, and a bit more CPU power (even my
> 1.4GHz laptop gets slow on a lot of flash-and-java-heavy sites); but I'll
> consider it. Thanks!
>
> I presume the EePC has decent support for linux? Looks like the graphics
> chipset is supported well. What chipset does the Gig-E interface use?

Understandable on the current workstation conversion.  But, thought I'd ask
in case it hadn't been thought of.

I'm not too familiar with the desktop version of the EeePC.  But, I do have
a EeePC 900 netbook and works great with Debian.

I followed the install directions, configuration, etc from here:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC

So far, everything works.  While it's not an issue with the desktop, I
upgraded the RAM from 256MB to 2GB (I think it's 1GB in the desk top) and
upgraded the SSD from 4GB to 32GB (I believe it's a 160GB SATA HDD on the
desktop).  Unless I'm really taxing the system, it doesn't bog down for
general day to day use.  I bought a USB external DVD-RW drive for it for
when needed.

There are limitations to the smaller devices.  But, if you primarily use it
as a workstation and not do a lot of heavy graphic intensive stuff, you
should be okay.  Not sure how you would get around multiple monitors.  I
personally don't like using more than one monitor so that's never been a
consideration for me.

--
-Shawn