On 7/20/2010 4:33 PM, r j wrote:
> I am taking  a tech writing class. I am writing an argument paper
> citing the benefits of using the command line VS the GUI. I
> would appreciate any opinions you would like to share.
I hope you aren't going to be too general in the comparison. Some tasks
are very well suited to a CLI, while others are suited to a GUI. For
example, if you wanted to convert a thousand PNG images to JPEG, a CLI
program would work tremendously. On the other hand, if you wanted to do
fancy image manipulation (beyond resizing/cropping/etc.), a GUI would be
better since you could see your changes in real time. There are tons of
examples I could give here. IMO, it's not about "better", but rather
"more appropriate".
> Do you think administration if faster using the command line ?
"Administration" is far too general a topic to have an opinion here.
> How long did it take you to learn the GUI ?
The basics of a simple point-and-click interface takes a few minutes to
learn. Beyond the basics, it really depends on how complex and well made
the GUI is for a particular program.
> How long did it take you to learn to use the command line ?
The learning curve here is more learning programs rather than how the
shell itself works.
> What are the major benefits of the command line ?
A CLI is appropriate for automation and basic tasks.
> What are the major benefits of using the GUI ?
A GUI is appropriate for complex and/or visual tasks or where it's
helpful to have certain information displayed while performing a task
(e.g. the tsMuxeR GUI). A well-written GUI frontend can also be helpful
in learning the various options/switches of its CLI backend.
> Do you think something was lost when the GUI came out ?
Absolutely not. The GUI opened up a whole new world and made a lot of
things a million times easier. I do think that too many people are too
dependent on it and are missing out on the power of the command line and
how it makes other things a million times easier though.