On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 16:33 -0500, "r j" <ronsmailbox5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am taking  a tech writing class. I am writing an argument paper citing
> the benefits of using the command line VS the GUI. I would appreciate
> any opinions you would like to share.
>
> Do you think administration if faster using the command line ?
For the most part yes, but to elaborate: command line administration
often relies on configuration files. If you're familiar with the file
syntax and options and are quick with a command line editor, then my
experience is that command line is much faster. However, administration
of software that I'm not familiar with is done more quickly by me using
a GUI.

> How long did it take you to learn the GUI ?
I learn GUI through practice with it. The time it takes depends on the
complexity of the software being used.

> How long did it take you to learn to use the command line ?
I felt that after a year I was able to comfortably administer a Linux
system through the CLI.

> What are the major benefits of the command line ?
More commands with more command options, in-line scripts, and shell
goodies such as pipes and redirection!

> What are the major benefits of using the GUI ?
If you forget the specific options or syntax, you can normally set it
using intuition.

> Do you think something was lost when the GUI came out ?
It's not lost if you also have access to CLI such as on a Linux system.
It's been my experience with non-cli users in the workplace that they
often want to combine the functionality of various programs for
automation but unless the software is written for that purpose, it makes
it very difficult.