Ahhh, got'cha - so that points to the issue being with Qwest.net getting
your traffic out of the area at a reasonable speed (if you get good speeds
from that link, assuming it's actually doing a speedtest and not just
looking at your account, it means that the chokepoint is behond that
point..)

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Ryan Coleman wrote:
> [...]
> toast.net			0.75	NA
> visualware.com	2.09	0.72
> testinternetspeed	1.88	0.70
> whatsmyip.com	6.62	0.71
> AVG			4.27	0.70
> Qwest SpeedTest
> 				16.64	0.78
> Diff				-12.37	-0.08
> 				-74.3%	-10.3% speed loss.
>
> I hope this is more legible for you guys...  I know the Comcast does "speed boost" bursting which can account for some of the fluctuation, but the DSL should be a steady, consistent speed.
>
> There was nothing else plugged into the DSL or Phone system except for the modem itself. It's not a perfect experiment - that would be a reboot of each system and waiting 30 minutes between tests, something that with 10 downloads to test would have taken days to complete.
>
> --
> Ryan
>
> P.S. Nate - I know about overhead, even giving them 30-35% just to be nice; I've been a network technician for years in Windows, Mac and various flavors of *nix for the last ten years, and I was an early adopter of DSL in 1999. This is more a showing people my experiences with their "FIOS" connection which is a false advertising lead, IMHO, and fails to inform the consumer that the upload speeds are NOT proportional to the download speed.
>
> P.P.S. I ran the internet connection at my "office" aka cafe I like and they get 38.23 Mbit down and 7 Mbit up. Consistently.
>

> On Jul 19, 2010, at 10:57 AM, Nate Carlson wrote:
>
>> which speedtest engine is faulty?
>>
>> The rates that the providers quote for speeds (for ADSL at least) are the
>> maximum rates that your line can sync up at. You may be sync'ing at that
>> speed, or at lower speeds (your DSL modem/router should be able to show
>> those stats.) Because of overheads, you will never get the exact speed
>> they advertise - it will be slightly lower.. if you read the fine print it
>> generally states that the speeds are maximum, not guaranteed, etc.
>>
>> I do agree that it looks like you are getting horrible speeds with Qwest -
>> it could be a number of factors (ie, poor line conditions on your end, a
>> dslam without enough backhaul connectivity, oversold connectivty at
>> Qwest.net, etc); you could try a different ISP if you want to keep DSL
>> (since you are on an ADSL tier you can pick your ISP), which would
>> eliminate Qwest.net from the picture.. but from my view if you are happy
>> with cable then keep it!  :)
>>
>> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010, Ryan Coleman wrote:
>>> All of this is BEYOND my point: Their speedtest engine is faulty. It
>>> claims speeds that it is *not* producing.
>>>
>>> I checked my cable line and the DSL line against a number of other test
>>> providers, here are the results:
>>>
>>> Speedtest	Speakeasy	bandwidthplace	auditmypc.com	internetfrog	DSLreports	toast.net	visualware.com	testinternetspeed	whatsmyip.com
>>>
>>> Down	Up	Down	Up	Down	Up	Down	Up	Down	Up	Down	Up	Down	Up	Down	Up	Down	Up	Down	Up
>>> Qwest	2.59	0.72	4.17	0.73	2.67	0.70	18.26	0.76	0.80	0.60	2.88	0.69	0.75
>>> 2.09	0.72	1.88	0.70	6.62	0.71
>>> Comcast	22.01	2.66	5.10	2.62	12.23	2.35	20.87	3.51	5.09	1.53	22.15	2.55	4.56