On 7/7/2010 4:08 PM, J Cruit wrote:
> So technically I think it is MSN but I still had to go to Qwest to order
> the static IP.

Sorry, this is gonna bug me until I fix this. All of your connections where only branded
under the MSN name which has been changed to WindowsLive these days. The IPs you are
granted to use under Qwest are still leased from ARIN for Qwest specifically as well as
their AS number. You only get automatically enrolled in MSN/WL when signing up for the
service. Not sure how much Microsoft payed for that ;D.

On 7/7/2010 2:26 PM, Kathryn Hogg wrote:
> For DSL they are required to offer 3rd party ISP's.

Man oh man (Oh wait :( ) wouldn't CLECs (Competitive Local Exchange Carriers) love that.
Unfortunately this beer is not free (very much so not free). Nah, they gotta pay the big
boys (ILECs) just like the rest of us.

I have a feeling their strategy is to kill of the CLECs, or at least take their DSL
customers away. I have a feeling this is a mostly political reasons, since I know I pay
the same amount to Qwest as I would be using them solely.

On 7/7/2010 2:49 PM, Robert Nesius wrote:
> What you will likely find is that consumer-broadband is usually burdened
> by ToS that does not allow you to have anything other than port 22
> open.  EVEN with a static address.  And there is a good chance they WILL
> port-scan you, and they reserve the right to port scan you.

Um.. If they where that pissed off at the world why wouldent they just firewall those
ports on there edge router? Most ToSs/AuPs (Oh any my favorite the MASTER AGREEMENT!) do
indeed frown upon using your connections for business type uses, but as of yet, I have not
seen anyone get the back hand for receiving emails or getting their DAMN WoW patches (one
of Bittorrents many fine uses, along with getting that sweet new Lynx).

There is really no way of them to know if you are using the provisioned bandwidth for
business use, nor should have any reason to be sneaking peeks in my payloads (FRIGGAN
COMCAST!). May need to double check those Privacy Policies while we're at it :(

On 7/7/2010 2:02 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
> In a Google search for "qwest fios" (without the quotes) this is the first
> thing that comes up:
>
> http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Qwest-Doesnt-See-The-Point-In-FiOS-92195

Lollerskates MM. While FTTP is darn expensive, this got a good laugh out of me.
Anyone seen Idiocracy (referring to Mike's link, not you fine guys.. er folks!) and are
also very afraid?

Well, that 'il be it from me, Have a fine Thursday all!