On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 10:40 PM, John Meier <john.meier at gmail.com> wrote:
> I hit up the local big box store for a counter top.  Then built a frame from
> 2x4s I had laying around (you could also get bench bracket parts at the
> store too).  I was able to make it at a custom height that worked well for
> standing or sitting at with a bench stool/drafting chair...

That reminds me...I actually built my own workbench out of 2x4's and
plywood last winter.
I roughly followed these instructions, which worked very well.
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/workshop/bench/below20.html
I used my own measurements because I wanted a standing bench for me
working on computers, which I think was a little higher than they
recommended, and I had a specific space that I wanted to fit in.
I had some scraps of 2x4, 2x6 and plywood left over from house
projects, so I think I actually spent about $10 on materials
specifically for this project.  I did not put on a bottom shelf.
YMMV.
I work for a company that has an ESD controlled environment, so I got
permission to take a used scrap of ESD bench mat home, and put that on
top of the bench.  Wired that down to ground, and I've got a perfect
DIY computer work bench.  I looked around, and a piece of ESD mat for
the average size bench would probably be $50-100.
- Justin