On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 10:40 PM, John Meier <john.meier at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Donovan <dniesen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a few L-shaped desks in my office that have been OK but we're
>> getting more and more machines in for repair/testing and we would be
>> better served by a nice long work bench.  Anybody know of a good place
>> locally to pick something up like this?
>>

> I hit up the local big box store for a counter top.  Then built a frame
> from 2x4s I had laying around (you could also get bench bracket parts at the
> store too).  I was able to make it at a custom height that worked well for
> standing or sitting at with a bench stool/drafting chair...

To that point, over the span of my career I've had several different office
types.  The office that has been the best for me is the "standing office" -
where the desk is at a height where I can work while standing, with a tall
chair and foot stool to allow me to work while sitting from time to time.

Oddly, I do my best work while standing.  I never would have expected that.
I'd encourage anyone to give it a try.

-Rob