On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Ubu Sumner <ubusum at ymail.com> wrote:

> What I needed to know to give me confidence to go forward. Thanks.
>
> Can I assume DD-WRT over Tomato? i.e., most stable, user-friendly, least-likely
> to brick.
>
> (Too bad I didn't try DD-WRT on a flaky 54G before buying this one. Similar
> issues.)

You might have had mixed results with your old one.  Up through v4 of the
hardware the 54G's had pretty standard hardware configs, and a nice roomy
flash (4MB I think).  In future versions cisco scaled back the flash to 2MB,
which meant you had to install a smaller subset of the WRT distro that would
fit in that footprint.  In the end each successive version got a little
trickier to deal with.  The 54GL version is basically the V4 rev of the
hardware.   The easier upgrade process may work well for you.

I don't know if I'd recommend Tomato over DD-WRT.  I would half-guess that
as long as whatever you use works and is stable, you'll be happy. :)  I've
used DD-WRT and I liked it very much.

-Rob