On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Scott Downing <SDowning at erdc.k12.mn.us>wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 09:25:54 -0700 (PDT),  Jeremy Olexa wrote:
> My 2 cents:
> >
> >I didn't find stability in my linksys 54G *until* I started using
> >alternative firmware.
> >
> >-Jeremy
>

> Exactly my experience

Ditto.  My Linksys would basically hang and cause me to reboot it.
Sometimes weeks would go by and I would be fine.  Sometimes the probably
would manifest within hours.  My brother-in-law had a DSL modem/router that
would get into a bad state when probed by Code Red and so while that
flash-worm was prolific his connection was very unstable.  I began to wonder
if there was some sort of packet stream or probe that would randomly target
me and cause a similar problem.

In any case I was cursing my WRT54G and taking Cisco's name in vain.
Finally one day I made the leap to DD-WRT and NEVER had a stability problem
again.  Same hardware, different software, much better result.   Besides, I
thought the whole point of buying a *GL series Linksys was that you weren't
going to use the software it ships with. :)

-Rob