On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 12:03 AM, J Georgius <iipreca at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have been using m0n0wall (firewall) for years and use FreeNAS for file sharing (seperate machines)...might not be quite as intuitive as some of the other gui's but its solid. JG
>
> http://m0n0.ch/
> http://freenas.org/

I am inclined to agree with Brian's sentiment that the file server
should be separated from the firewall, if possible.  If someone
happens to target you and gains control of your firewall, why give
them all your data, too?
I have used both of these.  It has been a while since I have done
anything with FreeNAS, but I have used m0n0wall at work quite a bit.
Functionally, the only thing I don't like about m0n0wall is that it
doesn't have a caching proxy because my purpose has been to install
Windows updates on dozens of systems simultaneously.  Squid saves a
lot of time and bandwidth for other things.
I think it is worth noting, though, that m0n0wall and FreeNAS don't
technically fit the bill, as they are based on FreeBSD, not linux.  I
don't think that should disqualify them, but it is a valid note.
- Justin