On 06/30 08:03 , Olwe Bottorff wrote:
> The whole Unix plan was a seamless, peer-to-peer world of Unix workstations growing and expanding.

Not really, networking was/is still a bit of a kludge onto Unix. Remember
that networking wasn't a big deal until the late 70s, and Unix was well
entrenched by that point. Almost everything else does it just as badly tho,
so no one notices. Plan9 got it correct (on Plan9 even devices [including
the CPU] on other workstations can be seamlessly treated like local files
and the network socket handling is better I believe); but they didn't get
the marketing correct and almost no one knows about it anymore. Hurd can do
it as well, but they have a different marketing problem with the same result.

> I'm not upset with Microsoft for the reasons most people are. I'm upset
> with them because they totally warped the evolution of computing into this
> crippled little "office/home" experience.

I'm upset at them for that; but also for the way they destroyed e-mail
netiquette by encouraging top-posting, not quoting correctly, and HTML mail.
Not to mention how Outlook is such an adminstrative nightmare and has an
*awful* UI; but everyone accepts it as normal because it's so common.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator