On Wed, 30 Jun 2010, Olwe Bottorff wrote:

> Now we have Linux as a de facto 2nd-generation Unix workstation. But it
> has grown up in this PC world both hardware- and network-wise. Sure,
> there are developer shops that use Linux exactly as the Unixae of old
> were used, but for so many of us we're isolated "behind" some ISP,
> simply replacing a Microsoft "home" or "business" computer with a 21
> century Unix box.

I don't know about other people, but I access files remotely very often.
I have a media server in my home.  I use NFS, CIFS (Samba), SSHFS and HTTP
all the time to access files on that server from other machines in the
house, but also from outside the home, sometimes from my smart phone.  I
also use a server in my office, MSI supercomputers and a 120-core cluster
we recently built.  All of these machines have filesystems that are
interconnected in various ways.

I think a lot of GNU/Linux and BSD users have multiple boxes that share
files to some degree.

Mike