-----Original Message-----
  From: Andy Schmid [mailto:andyschmid at gmail.com]
  Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2010 1:28 PM
  To: Chuck Cole
  Cc: Justin Kremer; tclug-list
  Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Invitation to connect on LinkedIn

  I've never heard of Indeed, thanks for the tip.  I have not had the same poor experience with linkedin.  I have been contacted by
recruiters from some pretty big companies who found me via linkedin through my listed experience and contacts.  It may not work for
everyone, but it has worked for me.

You are right: doing something is gonna work better than doing nothing.   Using an actual job search site like indeed might do
better.  It has all Monster, Careerbuilder, and so on: one stop shopping.

I hardly ever get spam from linkedin (aside from job inquiries, which is the whole point of it IMO), and linkedin will not spam your
friends unless you tell it to.  I also have not run into any trojans or viruses from the site.

"Hardly ever" isn't as good as "never".  I haven't run into any either because my ISP filters them out. but notifies me that they
did.  I often go several whole days and sometimes a week without a trojan attempt warning about something from Linkedin or Facebook!

I don't see much difference from putting up your resume on a website like monster.com, and putting it up on linkedin.

Better to locate a job announcement and respond than to post.  Posting can lead to some problems with recruiters who broadcast in an
attempt to claim the bounty for placing you, and posting is often viewed as an indication nobody will hire you, so you are
considered a "bottom of the barrel" candidate.   I only post on Careerbuilder, but get a flood of junk responses when I update.  I
do not post on recruiter sites because that empowers them to broadcast and that "bounty claim" makes you ineligible for other
recruiters who may be the only ones used by some corporations.

 To say LinkedIn is not a job seeking utility is a bit off the radar.

Read what I said very clearly:  " Linkedin is not first and foremost a job seeking function. "

It is not primarily a job seeking function.  It is not where everybody goes.  It is not where everybody goes first.  It's neither
necessary nor sufficient, IMHO.

Chuck