I've never heard of Indeed, thanks for the tip.  I have not had the same
poor experience with linkedin.  I have been contacted by recruiters from
some pretty big companies who found me via linkedin through my listed
experience and contacts.  It may not work for everyone, but it has worked
for me.

I hardly ever get spam from linkedin (aside from job inquiries, which is the
whole point of it IMO), and linkedin will not spam your friends unless you
tell it to.  I also have not run into any trojans or viruses from the site.

I don't see much difference from putting up your resume on a website like
monster.com, and putting it up on linkedin.  To say LinkedIn is not a job
seeking utility is a bit off the radar.

-Andy