On Thu, 14 Jan 2010, Mr. MailingLists wrote:

> On 1/14/2010 12:16 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010, Mr. MailingLists wrote:
>>
>>> I have a rather strong aversion towards all social networking sites. I
>>> feel that it is a security risk I would rather not ever have to deal
>>> with.
>>

>> Dear Mr. Mailinglists:
>>
>> By using your true name you have made it possible for some crazed
>> killer to see you on TCLUG and hunt you down and kill you.  You can
>> never be too cautious in this world, which is why I have a massive
>> stockpile of extremely dangerous loaded weapons adorning the walls of
>> my home.  I suggest that you get a fake name and a lot of guns if you
>> want to be secure.
>>
>> Mike
>

> That only would secure me physically whilst I was home. Whats stopping
> someone from killing me if I left the house? Walking the dog? At work?
> There are trade offs and insecurity in life, I do accept that.

We won't all truly be safe until each of us owns a pocket-sized nuclear
bomb that we can detonate if threatened.  Think of the huge deterrent
effect!

> The internet can be a scary place, in fact it is.

That's interesting.  I thought it was a funny place.

> I like to control what information about me is on the internet/someone
> else's system, where it could be compromised. Information stored on such
> social networking sites can be of a personal nature (as far as linkedin
> resumes, contacts, etc..) and I sure don't want Jonnie China to somehow
> through a compromised account, or XSS, or password brute, or, or, or....

Frickin' Chinese bastards!  OK, finally we agree.

> I'm sure it would be rather funny to have your potential employer come
> across your compimised linkedin account and see "LOLDONGS" posted all
> over it.

I haven't heard of LOLDONGS -- are they scary or funny, or both?

> Granted the likeliness is extremely small, but there is a chance.

Exactly.  That's why I never cross a street.

Mike