On 1/14/2010 12:16 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010, Mr. MailingLists wrote:
>
>> I have a rather strong aversion towards all social networking sites. I
>> feel that it is a security risk I would rather not ever have to deal
>> with.
>

> Dear Mr. Mailinglists:
>
> By using your true name you have made it possible for some crazed killer
> to see you on TCLUG and hunt you down and kill you.  You can never be too
> cautious in this world, which is why I have a massive stockpile of
> extremely dangerous loaded weapons adorning the walls of my home.  I
> suggest that you get a fake name and a lot of guns if you want to be
> secure.
>
> Mike

That only would secure me physically whilst I was home. Whats stopping
someone from killing me if I left the house? Walking the dog? At work?
There are trade offs and insecurity in life, I do accept that.

The internet can be a scary place, in fact it is. I like to control what
information about me is on the internet/someone else's system, where it
could be compromised. Information stored on such social networking sites
can be of a personal nature (as far as linkedin resumes, contacts,
etc..) and I sure don't want Jonnie China to somehow through a
compromised account, or XSS, or password brute, or, or, or....

I'm sure it would be rather funny to have your potential employer come
across your compimised linkedin account and see "LOLDONGS" posted all
over it.

Granted the likeliness is extremely small, but there is a chance. Same
goes for Facebook (privacy settings may change at any given time >> EULA).

I still love me some good internet/Linux, I just choose to avoid social
networking, security is a bit of a passion of mine.

BTW, anyone sec folks going to DEFCON 18 this year?