On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 03:33:06PM -0600, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, Florin Iucha wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:44:29AM -0600, Dan Armbrust wrote:
>>
>>> The fact that the file even exists without the app informing me about it
>>> is what irks me.
>>
>> They wanted to be "user-friendly" and not scare or annoy you with the
>> warning dialog.  And in all fairness, most users will just click-through
>> it with reckless abandon.
>

> But they seem to save the file indefinitely.  If the user downloads a PDF
> file, fills it in, prints it out and deletes it, the foo.sample.pdf.xml
> file remains, possibly forever.
>
> If I fill out a form, then I want my wife to fill out that same form using
> my account, I guess it would be tricky to figure out how to clear all of
> the fields.
>
> It's just a very weird situation, isn't it?  I can see how it would make
> more customers happy than unhappy, but it's just bad practice.  They could
> prompt the user "save form data?", or something like that when the file is
> being closed.

I wholeheartedly agree that it was a completely boneheaded decision.

I understand the tension between security and usability, but I firmly
believe that the Okular developers made a bad call.  Just as some big
wig at Adobe was explaining how useful enabling JavaScript in Acrobat
Reader is, even though it is the backdoor for most of the PDF
infections and most of the people don't need the functionality at all.

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163