On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:40 AM, Yaron <tclug at freakzilla.com> wrote:
> WiFi on Linux has been a thorn in my side for YEARS, so to have it just
> friggin WORK on Ubuntu was a big deal for me.

I agree.  I find it refreshing to be able to pop my Ubuntu thumbdrive
into ALMOST anything and have working networking as soon as the
desktop comes up.

> The Ubuntu Live CD on a USB Thumbdrive worked fine until I did a
> dist-upgrade. Then it wouldn't bootup anymore.

It may be that it doesn't know what to do when you install a new
kernel.  Have you tried running an upgrade instead of dist-upgrade?
I'm in the process of trying that right now.

> I also don't like that it
> offers the live CD install options on boot-up and is, in fact, slower than
> all hell. Knoppix on a thumbdrive which boots up in like two minutes.
> Ubuntu takes about TEN (keep in mind I am testing this on a not-super-new
> laptop). I'd also have to rip out the live CD user and create my own user,
> etc, etc. I'd much rather just have a regular Ubuntu install.

I don't know that there is any way to modify the boot menu options,
but I just tried and I was able to add a real user to one of my
thumbdrives and customize the interface, and at the next boot
everything stuck - including the key for the wireless network I
joined.
You may want to consider getting a better thumbdrive, as someone else
mentioned.  The laptop that I just tested this on isn't really old,
but it certainly isn't top of the line.  1GB RAM and 2ghz Core (not 2)
Duo.  It took a minute and a half from the time I hit Enter at the
boot menu until the login screen came up, since I told it NOT to auto
login, and that's not bad for this type of media.
- Justin