All'y'all-

I started using Linux when I noticed that it was a lot more fully developed
than Minix was. Not that I ever got around to loading Minix. It was around
late 1995 and I was using (MsDos and Win3.1) and kermit to TRY to work
from home (telecommute). Work had mostly Sun workstations running SunOs
for software development. But Linux had all the GNU stuff--gcc, perl, bash.
I had a little help to figure out how to get ppp running. I used
slackware I got off
a CD-ROM bought at a shop near the University of MN. I was hooked!

This is despite the hardware that I had at the time which was a 25MHz 386DX.
I could run X in it but I couldn't run gcc in X (it'd thrash itself
crazy). So I
used virtual terminals up until I got a new system in 2001. But even
under those
limitations, it was a lot simpler telecommuting with (Linux + GNU) than with
(MsDos + kermit + almostNoTools + Win3.1).  Most of our software development
was C, incidentally.

Currently, I've been using ubuntu...

Thanks,
-Steve

Steve Trapp, Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN, US
My home page: http://home.comcast.net/~steventrapp
steventrapp at \
  comcast dot net
is my e-mail address.  :-)