I first heard about Linux in 1995 or so, when I saw a guy on the bus at
college with what I now know to be a Slackware book in his hand. I asked him
"What's that?" He said "It's Linux." I said "What's Linux?"

It sounded really interesting, but I only owned one computer at the time and
wasn't going to risk my data with a dual-install system. So it had to wait
until I was out of college and at a job where I put together a system from
leftover parts and installed Red Hat 5.2 on it. I immediately loved it
because:

* It didn't treat me like I was an idiot.
* It didn't crash once a day or more!
* I could talk to my computer in complete sentences (command line) instead
  of using a point-and-grunt interface.
* The manual was good and helpful. (Yes, I got the company to buy the boxed
  set).
* RH5.2 was the first version that supported different languages in the
  installer. Their test language was 'redneck'. So the installer would ask
  questions like:
	 Whut kind of CD-ROM dew yew have?
	 [ ] SCSI CD-ROM
	 [X] Crappy CD-ROM

	Would you like to floormat yer hard drive?

	Congratupations yew are dun!

  So here was an OS that could laugh at itself! I loved it.

At home I put Debian on a machine I'd built from parts bought at government
auction.  Not having a network card for it, I sneakerneted all the packages
over to it on floppies. Learned a bit about tarballs and cat in the process.

I still wasn't willing to switch to Linux, primarily because my preferred
mail/newsreader was Agent, which wasn't available on Linux. However,
eventually my Windows machine got loaded with viruses and installed Red Hat
6.0 on it. It was an old and slow machine tho (Cyrix 166/32MB RAM) and when
I had the money I got a shiny new 1.1GHz machine and installed Debian on it.

9+ years later, I'm still using that same box for my home workstation. The
disk drives have been replaced several times over tho. (Usually without too
much data loss). The fundamental problem now is that the Web is so
flash-heavy these days that a 1.1GHz single-core machine is just not up to
the task.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator