On 2/2/2010 8:51 AM, Donovan wrote:
> I'm looking to set up a mail server for internal use only with a webmail
> interface.  I'm setting this up in an Active Directory environment so
> having LDAP/AD authentication would be ideal.

Most mail servers can be setup to Auth using ldap/AD.  There are tons of
docs available depending upon your flavor of mail server.

In the past I have used the full blown www.courrier-mta.org mta server,
and setup the AUTH to our AD using LDAP.  It also has a nice webmail
included.

I have also setup postfix to Auth against AD/LDAP, with either courier
imap or dovecoat imap (courier imap using ldap & dovecoat using the
built in NTLM). And on top of this I have been happy with www.zarafa.com
webmail features.  Zarafa looks & feels like Exchange OWA, but works
well on all browsers.  I like it.

Bottom line is most(if not all) Linux mail server setups can auth using
ldap against AD (with a little tinkering).  If you unfamiliar with ldap
& ad there is a lot of basic info in the web that will help you with the
basic minimum to help you get on your way.

I think another approach to this (although I have never tried myself)
would be using Sambas winbind/Pam-based auth technique on the mail
server box, then auth the mail users that way.  This could be a can of
worms left unopened, but thought I'd mention it.

Good Luck.

B-o-B