Samuel:  Didn't realize you were a student.  What's your major?  St.
Thomas is pretty far along with their virtual world exploration.  I
think they monetize some of what they do.  If you can get a feasible
WiMAX presentation in place, it becomes a natural for presenting to
groups, neighborhoods, communities across the state.  St. Thomas then
sees a marketing tool for their work.  Forget the Internet access, and
focus on a 12 mile radius mesh network that communities can modify to
fit their needs.  Cost is attractive, even if it's a one-time fee for
$50 per house.  Broadband forever, and able to be operated and
maintained by non-technical volunteers.  Ypsilanti, Michigan does this.
Check them out.  I think they're still tied to Meraki.  So, it's not as
if this is not tried and tested stuff.  I'll meet with you, and we can
use a couple of my wifi units to get a mock up on small scale.
Happy Holidays,
Tom