Hi:  Think about presenting the idea of a local broadband infrastructure
to your local mayor.  If the mayor likes the idea, the next step is to
meet with his tech advisor.  Open-mesh.com appears to sell wifi that
each house can use to establish community wide local broadband
infrastructure without Internet access.  Units priced at $29 per house,
one-time fee.  With the local broadband infrastructure in place, the
city can coordinate with ISP that wants to gain access to the broadband
infrastructure to provide affordable pricing.  If not, then the
community can set up virtual world, and work within the community.

This "last mile" is actively legislated as illegal at the community and
state level.  The local hospital can gain access to the infrastructure
for telemedicine programs in return for affordable Internet access.
Grocery stores can offer "branded" network services, etc.  Since each
community connects to other communities through WiMAX, it doesn't take
long to connect a state, and bypass ISP/Phone/Cable thugs.

Legally, your mayor will be told quickly by the telecoms that you can't
do this community initiative.  No need for you to pay a lawyer, yet.
Happy Holidays,
Tom Poe, Eden Valley, MN