On 12/16/2010 7:53 PM, Wayne Johnson wrote:
> I looked at VirtualBox, but wasn't too impressed.  The install forced
> all my NIC to disconnect (expected, but still a nuisance).  No
> provision to run services in the background (that I found).
>
> VMWare Server has been my choice at work for about a year now.  I'm
> running several Centos, Suse, several copies of Server2k3 and 2k8,
> Vista, Win7, and even Solaris x86.  I run it on a 4gb Intel dual core
> Dell system.  It's got a few ideocyncracies, but I've been able to
> work around them.  The Linux version of Server is not quite ready for
> prime time.  If your not using the exact version of Centos 5.2
> (without update) it's got a few problems.  The browser based admin
> works great.  VMWare Server is free.  Actually I like it better than
> VMWare Workstation.

VMware Server isn't really supported anymore so don't hold your breath
for updates.
> I also have an ESXi (now VMWare Hypervisor) on a system at home.  Nice
> but no support for WinRAID or software RAID that I've found.  This
> system is still being deployed so I have a lot to learn.

ESXi doesn't support any type of software RAID. To get storage
redundancy, you'll use multi-path FC, iSCSI, NFS. If you don't have
shared storage, each of your hard drives can be formatted VMFS so each
has a data store; that way for every VM, you can create a virtual disk
on each data store and use software RAID in your guest OS.

ESXi is a simple and quick rebuild if that fails and there's very few
configuration files to backup.