I looked at VirtualBox, but wasn't too impressed.  The install forced all my NIC
to disconnect (expected, but still a nuisance).  No provision to run services in
the background (that I found).

VMWare Server has been my choice at work for about a year now.  I'm running
several Centos, Suse, several copies of Server2k3 and 2k8, Vista, Win7, and even
Solaris x86.  I run it on a 4gb Intel dual core Dell system.  It's got a few
ideocyncracies, but I've been able to work around them.  The Linux version of
Server is not quite ready for prime time.  If your not using the exact version
of Centos 5.2 (without update) it's got a few problems.  The browser based admin
works great.  VMWare Server is free.  Actually I like it better than VMWare
Workstation.

I also have an ESXi (now VMWare Hypervisor) on a system at home.  Nice but no
support for WinRAID or software RAID that I've found.  This system is still
being deployed so I have a lot to learn.

---
Wayne Johnson,                         | There are two kinds of people: Those
3943 Penn Ave. N.          | who say to God, "Thy will be done,"
Minneapolis, MN 55412-1908 | and those to whom God says, "All right,
(612) 522-7003                         | then,  have it your way." --C.S. Lewis