On 12/15/2010 2:32 PM, Brian Wall wrote:
> Never let the lack of a degree stop you.  Almost every job I've been
> looking at is (BS degree || experience).  If you know what you're
> talking about, and are able to prove it, that's as good as a degree
> for most companies.
It's the "able to prove it" bit that kills me. I have no job experience
in the IT field and it's not like an interviewer is going to spend much
time finding out what I've learned informally. I've found that (in
general) one either needs experience, a degree, or connections for IT
jobs (especially when there is so much competition among job seekers).
Obviously, the experience is a catch-22, and I was hoping to find
connections. I do have some free time, so if anyone knows which
certification(s) would be especially useful (preferably something I can
learn without taking formal classes since those cost money and I'm sure
the Hennepin County library system has books on the subject), I would
love to know what they are.