On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 12:39 AM, Brian Dolan-Goecke
<goeko at goecke-dolan.com> wrote:
> Long Live ARCnet !!

I found out several years after my encounters with ARCnet that you're
supposed to terminate ARCnet connections.  Apparently running ARCnet
through a series of passive splitters and then directly plugging into
the card (without termination) isn't best practice.  Yet, somehow, it
worked.  Despite its shortcomings, ARCnet was a fairly robust topology
in that it only broke when you really, really tried.  And apparently,
not even then sometimes.

I was sad the day we brought in our first ethernet workstations, for
the ethernet NICs didn't have DIP switches to set the MAC address.
256 ought to be enough for anyone.

Anyone tried Turbo ARCnet?  Sounds about as appealing as 100Mb br0ken ring.

Brian