On 10-08-31 04:23 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2010, Matthew Unger wrote:
>
>> I second a vote for Clam. I use it on both my Debian and Win boxen.
>

> Good to know.  In Synaptic on Ubuntu it says something to the effect that
> it is mainly useful for scanning email attachments.  Can it also be used
> to scan a directory tree?  For example, I would like to be able to attach
> a USB device to my Ubuntu box and scan it for infected files.  Can I do
> that with ClamAV?

Yes.
Basic clamav can be run from the command line to scan a specific
directory, and from the Ubuntu/Debian clamav-daemon package:

This package contains the daemon and its command line interface,
featuring:
  - fast, multi-threaded daemon;
  - easy integration with MTA's;
  - support for on-access scanning;