On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Daniel Taylor <random at argle.org> wrote:

> For those who do not know.
>
> Before there was vi there were ed (the line editor) and sed (the stream
> editor).
>
> In the days of paper terminals ed was the ultimate interactive text
> editor, you could (in theory) write your thesis using it. I'm sure
> someone did, because college students are That Way (that, and you could
> save a backup copy and pay someone with a nice typewriter and decent
> typing speed to make it pretty for you if you had more money than most
> college students).<http://mailman.mn-linux.org/mailman/listinfo/tclug-list>

My first experience with ed was watching my friends code their realms on LPC
based MUDS.  I remember cringing in horror at the thought of having to forgo
the luxury of vi to code their realms. :)

Now I'm using Aptana Studio 3 (a nice, free, rails-savvy IDE) to develop in
as I work my way through my Rails book.  The "little things" the built-in
editor does are much appreciated.  Smart indenting - automatic insertion of
matching brackets and closing tags when necessary.  If I line-break after
opening a brace the editor adds an extra line-break to put the closing brace
on its own line at the proper indent level.  If I create a new file it has
the correct boilerplate templated in...  When I begin open up a new tag a
pop-up list of all tags matching the prefix is presented if I want, or I can
ignore it and keep typing.  It's all stuff I could do myself, but over time
it's saving me a lot of key strokes.  Most non-vi text editors induce
hiccups for me, but using this editor has been a seamless transition.
Pretty impressive.

-Rob