Is your experience from aerospace where there are formal requirements,
juried reviews, etc, or from a context of individual contributors working to
self-imposed or locally imposed requirements? In satellite signal
processing, secure comm, life-critical avionics, and so on, vi is seldom
used on "big things".  I'm referring to real-time  life critical cases, not
school or IT or academic med. In that aerospace experience base, vi is much
less likely, but project teams may select "team tools" based on particular
tasks, people, and so on.

Chuck