On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 01:36:52PM -0500, Daniel Taylor wrote:
> On 10-08-24 09:15 PM, Erik Mitchell wrote:
> > Gnome vs. KDE... what about the lighter window managers? I'm a big fan
> > of Awesome.
> >
> > And what about text editors? I use VIM, because it's so much better
> > than Emacs. Flamewar #3, commence.
> >
> Programmers generally prefer emacs for its power and features. These are
> being replaced by more advanced IDE's on most platforms, but there are
> still places where emacs is best for the job.

Relgious war aside, can you speak where you're getting this from?  I'm a programmer myself, and I hang out with programmer types, and I would say pretty much all of them use Vi unless they've switched to an IDE or spent their entire lives in the Windows world.  (And many of them, including myself, use plugins to give those IDEs Vi keybindings if such a thing exists for that IDE.)

-Adam