On 10-08-24 09:15 PM, Erik Mitchell wrote:
> Gnome vs. KDE... what about the lighter window managers? I'm a big fan
> of Awesome.
>
> And what about text editors? I use VIM, because it's so much better
> than Emacs. Flamewar #3, commence.

Programmers generally prefer emacs for its power and features. These are
being replaced by more advanced IDE's on most platforms, but there are
still places where emacs is best for the job.

Admins generally prefer vi for it's ubiquity and robust operation.
Believe it or not, the modal operation of vi makes editing files easier
if you are on any sort of impaired link (like an overloaded wireless
network).

Different tools for different jobs. You won't catch carpenters arguing
over whether claw hammers or screwdrivers are better, despite that both
are used to insert and remove fastening devices.

--
Dan