J.A. Simmons V wrote:
> I am curious as to how much money we are looking at to get a prototype
> WiMaxx up and running. I ask because an exciting class that I am
> starting this semester has the students start a business with a
> sizable grant from the U of M. I can easily see this as a decent
> contender, not to mention an actually viable business model.
> Does anyone have info on the public wifi that is offered downtown?
>
> Simmons
>
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 16:04, Chuck Cole <cncole at earthlink.net
> <mailto:cncole at earthlink.net>> wrote:

Can't give you an answer on downtown project, but you might be
interested in Ypsilanti, Michigan.  Type the keywords, wireless mesh
ypsilanti, into your favorite search engine, and follow the links.
Basically, a couple of guys established a community-wide wireless mesh
network that required no technical expertise to create and operate.

Open-mesh.com works with low-income populations to establish wireless
mesh networks and leverage Internet access by providers interested in
gaining access to these "markets".

If I were a hospital, I would purchase a $50 open-mesh unit, and then
offer to set up a branded network for community residents to participate
in telemedicine programs with my hospital.  Each house could spend $60
to purchase a unit on my branded network.  The $60 fee is a one-time
fee, and a nominal monthly fee for Internet access could be offered.  My
upfront costs would be negligible, and, defraying the hospital's
Internet costs would be attractive.

Expanding on that concept, we have grocery stores, newspapers, local
radio stations.  You name it.  Branded wireless mesh networks are the
tip of the iceberg.  Let's say there's no Internet connection to a
community wireless mesh network.  How about placing a virtual world
application on a node, and setting up city hall offices to do their
business?  Want a community town hall meeting with the audience
including those who are in their homes?

Anyway, the biggest obstacle to any of this, is the local/regional telco
companies.  They hate this concept so much, they sue anyone even
attempting it.  Monticello is a good case study.
Tom