On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 03:28:35PM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
> The sales guys at MicroCenter were pushing a Gateway laptop, partly
> because it has an i5 processor, instead of a Dell with an i3.  The prices
> are the same, as are most of the specs.
>
> My son is reading some reviews and it sounds like the i5 is somewhat
> faster but it actually gets better battery life.  So I guess the i5 is a
> better choice than i3.  Right?
>
> On the other hand, I'm not hearing many recommendations for Gateway.  If
> anything, people (other than sales people at MicroCenter) have been trying
> to steer me away from Gateway.  Is Gateway really to be avoided?  What
> about Linux on Gateway.  Right now I'm thinking the Gateway might be the
> best choice, for $599 at MicroCenter.  This is it:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-NV5929u-Notebook-i5-430m-battery/dp/B0036FFH4A
> http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0336321
>
> Strangely, the Amazon reviews say that it plays Blu-ray, but I doubt it. I
> wonder if Ubuntu can do the graphics/sound easily.  I don't know if it is
> Linux-friendly -- not finding info via Google.
>
> Any opinions on this?

Stay away from Gateway.  They used to be decent ten years ago, but
they were bought, sold, went in and out of bankruptcy.  I don't
believe they have much of an engineering staff left - they are
probably just tossing some components and glue into a case and
shacking instead of stirring it.

If it's for college, get a business line machine, even if it's more
expensive.  It will resist wear and tear easier, and it will be
smaller and lighter than the consumer-grade model, for similar specs.

I got my wife a Thinkpad X61s three years ago and it's going strong
(with the additions of 4 GB of RAM and a Intel 80GB SSD).  It survived
a 4 feet drop from the desk to the carpet - the HDD was spinning and
started making funny noises, but I managed to get all the data off it
before and it's still running.

You can buy a solid machine and get 5 years out of it, or you can
spend 75% now and 75% in three years to replace or fix it.

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163