The sales guys at MicroCenter were pushing a Gateway laptop, partly
because it has an i5 processor, instead of a Dell with an i3.  The prices
are the same, as are most of the specs.

My son is reading some reviews and it sounds like the i5 is somewhat
faster but it actually gets better battery life.  So I guess the i5 is a
better choice than i3.  Right?

On the other hand, I'm not hearing many recommendations for Gateway.  If
anything, people (other than sales people at MicroCenter) have been trying
to steer me away from Gateway.  Is Gateway really to be avoided?  What
about Linux on Gateway.  Right now I'm thinking the Gateway might be the
best choice, for $599 at MicroCenter.  This is it:

http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-NV5929u-Notebook-i5-430m-battery/dp/B0036FFH4A
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0336321

Strangely, the Amazon reviews say that it plays Blu-ray, but I doubt it. I
wonder if Ubuntu can do the graphics/sound easily.  I don't know if it is
Linux-friendly -- not finding info via Google.

Any opinions on this?

Mike