On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Florin Iucha <florin at iucha.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:50:02PM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
>> We definitely want to run Linux (Ubuntu, preferably) and still have
>> everything working properly.  He might have to run Windows in a VM, or as
>> a dual-boot setup, but I'm not sure about that (he's mostly concerned that
>> he hasn't been able copy music files to his iPod Touch from Ubuntu, but
>> I'll try some experiments here while he's visiting).
>>
>> Just thought I'd check here to see what kinds of tips and ideas you guys
>> have.  It's a tricky decision because of the trade-offs with price, power,
>> battery-life, features, etc.  We'd like to keep the price down to $600.
>
> I recommend a second-hand Thinkpad T series and a fresh battery.  With
> X-mas money he should get an SSD, as it does wonders on battery life and
> on general performance.
>
> Cheers,
> florin
>
> --
> Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
>      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163

There's a place near the U of M campus that does used Thinkpads (full
disclosure, they're my neighbor and I did their website):
http://www.computermegamall.com

I picked up a T61 that came with no visible use for about $600.  I
ended up upgrading the RAM and adding an SSD myself.  The T series
really can take a beating; it's a huge improvement over the Toshiba
Tecra I replaced.

--
Donovan Niesen