On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:50, Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:
> My son starts college in a few days.  He has an old Dell laptop that isn't
> good enough for him, I guess.  He wants for his laptop to be his main
> computer, ...
>
> We definitely want to run Linux (Ubuntu, preferably) ...
>
> Just thought I'd check here to see what kinds of tips and ideas you guys
> have.  It's a tricky decision because of the trade-offs with price, power,
> battery-life, features, etc.  We'd like to keep the price down to $600.

Like Florin, I'd recommend an IBM ThinkPad, though I don't have a
particular model in mind and I don't know how it fits in with your
proposed budget. There's a great list (though traffic is declining)
called [ltp] linux-thinkpad at linux-thinkpad.org which is devoted to
helping people run Linux on ThinkPad systems.

For work, I've run Linux on ThinkPad laptops and used them as a
primary machine for over a decade now and I'm very happy with them.

--
Brian D. Ropers-Huilman
612.234.7778