Miguel has been a flunkie of MS for years, and the attempts to push
Gnome to use mono and Moonlight have been part of my reasons for
trying to stay closer to KDE... I don't think anyone should ignore
MS's ongoing criticisms of OSS, and their attempts to poison projects
with their weaker licenses and patent-encumbered projects should be
treated with the utmost suspicions. The first E in their strategy has
always been Embrace, and this wouldn't be the first time they have
attempted to get close to a competitor to later co-opt their base.

For all the criticisms of Apple, they have been a strong contributor
towards the community, and the fact that both competitors to the
iPhone are successfully using WebKit for their browser bases and still
working with Apple to extend the base should be a sign they can
compete and still play nice with their community. Contributing to GCC,
libdispatch, launchd, bonjour.... Sharing their brilliant and simple
ways of addressing problems which the free software community has
often had difficulty with and sharing through friendly licenses.

Kris