On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 1:17 AM, Marc Skinner <marc at e-skinner.net> wrote:
> i would also check the duplex and auto-neg setting on the samba server.
> i would hard set them as well.

Marc,

You nailed the one thing that came to mind for me too - I've seen
mysterious/slow through-puts before and it's always been mis-matched duplex
settings for me.  Plus, first rule of debugging stuff like this - "Start at
the physical layer."

Ryan,

Have you tried other file-transfer protocols?  i.e., ftp or copying a file
using ssh or rsync?   If those were fast while SMB was slow, then debugging
service-configs would be the place to look.  If those are slow too, look at
the physical layer.  I know you're using an airport extreme, but are you
hooked up to it with physical cables or is everything going wireless?  I
suspect you have wired connections but if not that does change things a
bit.

When you tried your direct connection that failed to work, were you using a
cross-over cable?

While your description of your setup was pretty good, there are still points
of ambiguity - if the problem still exists after your next round of
debugging draw a picture of your network config.

-Rob