On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 10:51:25 -0500, Raymond Norton <admin at lctn.org> wrote:
> I was able to get x windows working yesterday with the recommended fix
> that was posted. My desktop is back as expected, but the network
> connections panel in gnome says there are no network interfaces, and
> ifconfig in terminal only shows a loopback interface. The network app
> (Ubuntu) shows all interfaces, and settings that have been previously
> configured-eth0, and wlan0. I am able to manually bring the interfaces
> up using ifconfig, and iwconfig. I'm looking for a way to auto start the

> interfaces, and make them available in gnome again.

Ah ha! I believe NetworkManager is not starting at boot for you as I can
reproduce the problem you are having to a T. If if disable it, or stop it,
ifconfig only reports the loopback device, yet in gnome-nettool I am able
to see all interfaces. If you run:

sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start

do all network interfaces return via ifconfig? Mine does.

If this works make sure you enable it to start at boot:

sudo update-rc.d NetworkManager defaults

Any luck?