I was able to get x windows working yesterday with the recommended fix
that was posted. My desktop is back as expected, but the network
connections panel in gnome says there are no network interfaces, and
ifconfig in terminal only shows a loopback interface. The network app
(Ubuntu) shows all interfaces, and settings that have been previously
configured-eth0, and wlan0. I am able to manually bring the interfaces
up using ifconfig, and iwconfig. I'm looking for a way to auto start the
interfaces, and make them available in gnome again.