Hello Raymond. Glad to hear you got it working.

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 16:57:58 -0500, Raymond Norton <admin at lctn.org> wrote:
> I ran Xorg -configure; it created a new xorg.conf.new in my home
> directory. I then ran Xorg -config xorg.conf.new to test this. X
> started, and I was able to move the mouse around this time

This was expected, when testing, all you will get is a blank screen with a
mouse cursor just to let you know it is working.

>, but the
> desktop was blank. I copied xorg.conf.new to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and
> enabled gdm again. I can now login again, and have my normal desktop but

> my network adapters do not show up in gnome, or via ifconfig,

That's darn strange. I'm guessing that you may have meant that network
interfaces showed up in ifconfig but not network manager? AFAIK
network-manager is a front end for ifconfig, so if there are no interfaces
in ifconfig, there should be none in gnome-network-manager. I don't have an
Ubuntu box or VM at the moment so I cant explain or test anything on my
end.

>but they
> do show up in network manager. I was able to add eth0 via ifconfig and
> it works, so I am guessing it is gdm problem????
>

> Thanks much for the help! I will plug away to get everything working
again.

Anytime!