On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 03:00:01PM -0500, Andrew Kuriger wrote:
> I guess i kind of wrote this wrong (Coffee++). After you start X, or after
> it starts automatically after boot, are you able to get to tty0 (CTRL-ALT +
> F1) and get to a terminal? if so, you at lest now know the issue resides in
> xorg.conf and not the kernel/applications.

If not, the gdm might be running on the first console instead of
running on tty7 as it was for the past 15 years.  So, keep trying
Ctrl-Alt-F2, F3, F4... untill you see the dark [tty].

>                                            I am guessing it probably has to
> do with Xorg. If this is the case, rename the current xorg.conf and run
> "Xorg -configure" to create a new xorg.conf. FYI X should not be running at
> the time you run this. Also. if you have an nvidia GPU use nvidia-xconfig.

Good advice.

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163