On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 14:33:40 -0500, Andrew Kuriger
<a.kuriger at liquidphlux.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 14:15:05 -0500, Raymond Norton <admin at lctn.org>
wrote:
>> My keyboard and mouse do not work once my Ubuntu 9.4 laptop boots up.
>> I'm sure this problem can be traced back to my experimentation with
lirc

>> last night.
>>
>> I booted to recovery mode and disabled everything lirc, using
>> update-rc.d -f lirc remove
>>
>> I still cannot access my desktop with the built in or external
keyboard.

>> Both work fine prior to the laptop booting up fully.
>>

>> Just for good measure I reconfigured X, but that did not help.
>>

>> Any ideas what to look for?

> You may want to check /var/log/messages after boot. There is also an
xorg
> log file as well that may hold clues. I want to clarify, are you able to
> use the KB/Mouse prior to X starting, I.e... are you able to get to
tty0,
> or tty1, so on and so forth?

I guess i kind of wrote this wrong (Coffee++). After you start X, or after
it starts automatically after boot, are you able to get to tty0 (CTRL-ALT +
F1) and get to a terminal? if so, you at lest now know the issue resides in
xorg.conf and not the kernel/applications. I am guessing it probably has to
do with Xorg. If this is the case, rename the current xorg.conf and run
"Xorg -configure" to create a new xorg.conf. FYI X should not be running at
the time you run this. Also. if you have an nvidia GPU use nvidia-xconfig.