On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Jason Hsu <jhsu802701 at jasonhsu.com> wrote:

> I wasn't able to get the Ethernet light to come on under Windows XP, Puppy
> Linux (frugal installation), or Puppy Linux (live CD).  Thus, my problem is
> not specific to the OS.  Since the computer only has 256 MB of RAM, I doubt
> that I could run Knoppix or a Ubuntu live CD.  Until this past weekend, the
> Internet connection was just fine under Windows XP or Puppy Linux (frugal or
> live CD).

Have you verified that the network cable and switch/hub port are good?  Were
there any lightning or electrical surges/outages recently that might have
taken out your networking device?  Do you have another system you can plug
your current connection into and see if it works?

Apologies if you've already covered this in a prior e-mail.  Just wanted to
mention this in case it wasn't already.

For a lightweight "Live" CD/USB distro:  http://www.slax.org/

--
-Shawn